Mattel first Asian Male Doll: What do I think about him!


First of all let me just say; WELCOME TO THE WORLD ASIAN KEN YOU WILL BE LOVED BY MANY DOLL LOVERS ALL OVER!

Now let’s get back to the topic; after so many years an Asian male doll by MATTEL is finally here! In all honesty the more I see this doll the more I'm saving every penny to buy him. This is also a new face mold, he is not using any left overs from Ken and that is a very good sign. The doll is part of Dolls of the World: Japan and he is also bringing a friend. Yes Lea is coming with Ken also; both dolls are due just in time for Christmas. Ken comes in a traditional Japanese patterned-fabric with contemporary styled clothing and a samurai-inspired sword. Yes a sword, I really can see him and Takeo taking down the bad guys! Now this was the good part and I’m going to explain the bad part!

Why oh why did he have to be a damn samurai? I understand its part Dolls of the World but Asian Ken could have been put in the Barbie Basic line easily! Was it so hard to make Asian Ken blend in with everyone else, how hard is it to put on a T-shirt and jeans and make him a male model!

When Fashion Royalty Takeo came out in fall 2008, there were some upset that he was a Ninja but, the only difference is that Takeo came in a suit! The next year spring 2009 Takeo had the boy next door image. No matter how Takeo came dress he was blended into society!

I’m really happy that both dolls are coming out and hope to see so many photos!

Comments

  1. Oh you know exactly what I think ;)

    People seem to LOVE correcting me that "Asian Ken" is really "Japanese Ken"... isn't Japan part of Asian anymore? oops

    As for the past stereotypical dolls of the world - I say, past stupidity doesn't make current stupidity ok.

    But I wouldn't want dolls of the world to disappear... where else would I get my dolls of color? Of course... they COULD BE integrated into the "normal non-ethnic-cultural" lines but that would be way too avant guarde. I mean, PoC as boring everyday people... NO WAY! (sarcasm by the way)... in this world where people of color are seen as being on the periphery or for decoration... boring is desired. LOL

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

I would like to hear what you think so please share your thoughts and feelings on any subject! Plus if you see a word or a sentence out of order, do not be afraid to let me know!