Whatever time or day you read this, please understand that I'm am not trying to make anyone depress or feel uncomfortable. My post is to wake America up about what's going on in our society.
In the fall of 2008 I had to write paper for my child psychology course. There were many topics to explore and I made up my mind to write about suicide. I have to say, when I read my outline for the class 2 weeks before the paper was due, everyone was in shock. I'm not supired because many people are still in the dark when it comes to all forms of suicide.
Do you know:
For young people 15-24 years old, suicide is the third leading cause of death.
15% of those who are clinically depressed die by suicide
1 in 65,000 children ages 10 to 14 commit suicide each year
In 2004, 32,439 people died by suicide. (CDC)
By 2010, depression will be the #1 disability in the world. (World Health Organization)
Need more facts please go to
The reason why I'm bringing all this up?(You have to be asking yourself that question)
NO ONE IS TALKING ABOUT THIS!! I know it is the most difficult topic to discuss, believe me I had a hard time writing that paper but, at the end of the day I felt a lot better.
Ideation (thinking, talking or wishing about suicide)
- Substance use or abuse (increased use or change in substance)
- Puposelessness (no sense of purpose or belonging)
- Trapped (feeling like there is no way out)
- Hopelessness (there is nothing to live for, no hope or optimism)
- Withdrawal (from family, friends, work, school, activities, hobbies)
- Anxiety (restlessness, irritability, agitation)
- Recklessness (high risk-taking behavior)
- Mood disturbance (dramatic changes in mood
Again I'm not doing this to make you feel sad! If you know anyone who feels like they want to take their life, get them help!
If you have any questions please look to the right side of your computer and check out the sites Under REAL LIFE ISSUES!
Thank you for reading!